Hyperakt is looking for an awesome Project Manager to join our Brooklyn-based social impact design studio.
At Hyperakt, project managers are not only the operational backbone of the team, but they are creative partners and strategic thinkers. From a tactile level, project managers are the key point person for both clients and the internal team. They are responsible for building project schedules, keeping projects on budget, communicating effectively with clients, and attending all meetings from kickoff to launch. Internally, project managers are creative and contribute to design and strategy thinking. They are emotionally intelligent and attuned team dynamics. Project managers hold the tricky task of balancing the allegiance of their team with client satisfaction, not compromising too much on either’s vision.
We are looking for someone who is well-spoken, thoughtful, and efficient; someone who is adaptable, empathetic, and timely. They should thrive in creative spaces and value good design and smart thinking. They are open to learning new workflows and always looking to improve our best practices. They will have the autonomy to lead projects on their own and should be comfortable asking for help when they need it. They are excel enthusiasts and master planners, while at the same time, exuding calmness and stability.
Ideally, we are looking for project managers with at least one year of explicit project management experience. If you’re ready for the challenge, keep reading!
What you’ll do:
At Hyperakt, project managers are essential, not only in keeping the team on track and ensuring project success, but they also celebrate our wins and make sure we have a little fun amidst the hard work.
- Create project schedules from existing scopes of work
- Accurately assign hour allocations to resources; regularly check-in with team members on their progress
- Understand how to manage competing priorities and focus on the most important tasks first
- Anticipate problem areas and work to mitigate risks
- Use Harvest, Forecast, and Excel with ease (or are willing to learn!)
- Keep projects within budget by setting realistic deadlines and managing client expectations
- Ensure teammates are accurately tracking project hours
- Have a pulse on the project, knowing if and when it may require more (or less!) time
Scheduling and Forecasting
- Accurately forecast out bandwidth for team members, including Designers, Strategists, Developers, and Creative Directors
- Keep schedule up-to-date by accounting for changes in project deliverables or plans
- Understand the nuances of managing different types of workers and adapt his/her management style based on the individuals on the project
- Build trust and rapport with your teammates and clients
- Understand how and when to celebrate team and personal wins (including ice cream runs, shoutouts, slack props, team lunch, etc.). PMs know how hard everyone is working and when a teammate needs a little pick-me-up.
- Help plan cultural events and outings, including team building, birthday lunches, and studio breakfast
Who you are:
You take initiative
- You’re action-oriented and full of energy
- You’re a super planner and know how to move from one step to the next
- You seize opportunities when they arise
- You make others feel at ease; you know how to build relationships with all different kinds of people
- You don’t take yourself too seriously
- You can build appropriate rapport with clients that exemplifies Hyperakt’s values
- You know how to build constructive relationships
- You can can diffuse high tension situations comfortably
- Ambiguity doesn’t phase you – you can cope with change
- You know when to take risks and when to play it safe.
You’re comfortable with higher-ups
- You’re comfortable interacting with senior staff member
- You can push back on scopes and schedules tactfully
- You know how to gain trust from potential clients
You’re super organized
- Your inbox is always at zero; you love excel sheets and color coding
- You set clear objectives and expectations (for yourself and others) and you have great follow through
Details & Perks
We have a beautiful, two-story studio in Gowanus with a full kitchen, ping pong, and group birthday lunches.
Hyperakt is a social impact design agency based in Brooklyn, New York that builds brand identities and digital experiences for leading social impact organizations. We design with people, for people, to tell stories about injustice, hope, and everything in between. Our clients are humanitarian organizations, philanthropies, tech innovators, universities, and social enterprises who tackle the toughest challenges of our time and champion those who have been left behind — Ford Foundation, Google, Spotify, Amnesty International, the City of New York, and more.
We are a small team of passionate designers, strategists, producers, developers, and all-round storytellers. We love Monday morning bagels, team lunches, cracking open a beer at the end of the day, going bowling, and exploring the city’s cultural institutions. We come from diverse backgrounds, walks of life, multiple continents, and are excited to welcome another Hyperaktivist into the fold.
How To Apply
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Project Manager” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hyperakt is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity & inclusion.