- Your Nonprofit Could Use a Name Trim
How to update your name for modern times without “really” changing it
- It’s Time to Change the Conversation About Change
Why strategy, branding, and design are essential to building a more just and joyous society
- Telling a New Story About Philanthropic Organizations
Philanthropies have been through the wringer, as people question their motives and actions. Branding can help communicate your organization’s new reality.
- Rowing In the Same Direction
To what extent should your nonprofit’s mission line up with your employees’ personal values?
- Renaming Your Nonprofit
A few hard truths worth sitting with
- Branding Your Nonprofit? Your ED Should Not Lead the Charge
For branding projects to be effective and run smoothly, you need the right person running point for your team.
- Let Go of the Jargon
Just say what you mean.
- Communication is a Basic Human Skill. Why Are We So Bad at It?
If communication within your organization isn’t working, branding won’t save you.
- Rebranding While In Flux
How to approach brand strategy when your organization is in a period of major transition.
- Nonprofits in a World of Shifting Power
Staying relevant means bridging Old Power and New Power.
- Branding Is Expecting. Marketing Is Parenting.
Where one ends, the other begins.
- Your Behavior Shapes Your Brand Which Shapes Your Behavior
Your visual identity attracts attention, but lasting impressions are built on reputation and trust earned through each interaction.
- Your Brand’s First Impression Can Open or Close Doors. So Make it a Good One.
People respond at a gut level to the way your brand shows up in the world.
- Rebranding is Expensive. Is it Worth It?
Real nonprofit leaders talk about expectations and outcomes from their rebranding projects.
- Are Your People Well Equipped to Talk About Your Nonprofit?
Your leadership team uses visionary language to describe your work; your staff should share that vocabulary, too.
- The Ruthless Search for Your Nonprofit Brand’s Core Idea
Brand strategy results from synthesizing, distilling, and pruning to get down to a foundational idea. So how do you know when you’ve landed on the ideal strategy?
- Branding Nonprofits is Different from Companies. Here’s Why, and Why it Matters.
It’s tempting to look at consumer brands for inspiration when creating a brand for your organization. But are they really a reflection of who you are?
- The Maple Syrup Approach to Nonprofit Branding
How to develop a Grade A brand that distills your organization's pure authenticity.
- Take Control of Your Brand or Someone Else Will
The public often has an incomplete or inaccurate view of your organization. Building a strong brand lets you define that narrative.
- Does Rebranding Really Transform Nonprofits?
I realize that, coming from a branding studio, this sounds like a slightly cynical, mostly rhetorical question, but hear me out. The answer might not be what you expect.